The year of the Teacher

Experiences teaching for a year in South Korea. Traveling the country and taking pictures everywhere.

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Asbestos in Mackenzie Chown

I just received my weekly Brock Press email and lo-and-behold, the building I walked through daily for 3 years contains asbestos. Yeah for mesothelioma! I guess it's not a huge deal until they start ripping apart things which they just started doing.

Interestingly, "...Canada is the world's second leading producer of asbestos and has therefore paid for pro-asbestos propaganda by groups..." It seems Newfoundland is full of the stuff. Brock faculty are dragging their feet to come up with a policy; meanwhile some seminars are moving and at least one faculty member is handing out masks.

I find it unethical for Canada (and 30 other countries) to ban the substance, yet we can produce it and ship it off to less developed countries with no such protections in place.