The year of the Teacher

Experiences teaching for a year in South Korea. Traveling the country and taking pictures everywhere.

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Update

Up early on a Saturday morning since all the staff at Swaton has to go to a workshop this morning in Seoul. This workshop was kind of thrown on us last minute, so none of us are too pleased.

Blaine's been working at a school down the road from us for a few months now. He returned to Korea, but not to Swaton, after a short stay in Saskatchewan. He came to Swaton to visit yesterday and asked
Dave, Craig and I if we wanted to go out after work. When we went out, Blaine told us that he was given his two week notice from his school; they were letting him go. I guess with the sudden drop in the number of students enrolled, they had to let someone go. They told Blaine that he never "fit in" and were going to terminate the contract. So we helped him forget about it, temporarily, with a little galbi and a lot of Soju; which leaves me with a Soju headache now, which is never good for a half-day workshop. I have a sneaking suspicion that someone will be let go at Swaton as well; if not, we'd have 7 teachers for only 17-19 kindergartens. I would love to say that we'd have pretty easy schedules in March, but I don't think we'll be that lucky.

Been going to the gym with Craig for the last couple of months. Started running again, been feeling a lot better, haven't been sick for (knock on wood) 2 months now. Signed up for a
half-marathon in March. Would love to go into the marathon, but considering I haven't run more than a 10k in a race, I don't want to embarrass myself. :)

Toying with the idea of going with Craig on the Trans-Siberian Railway trip after we finish our contracts. At first, I never considered going, even when Craig mentioned he wanted to. I wanted to travel/work in Australia for a bit before coming home. But, Craig bought a book on it, and I've started reading it a lot lately. I've become very interested in seeing the Great Wall, Lake Baikal, and St Petersburg.
Matt went on it when he finished his contract and the pictures are pretty amazing.