The year of the Teacher

Experiences teaching for a year in South Korea. Traveling the country and taking pictures everywhere.

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Grammar, blah....

My grammar knowledge is horrible.

It's limited to the days of Stevensville Public School when the last thing I wanted to learn was what the superlative of a word or a reflexive pronoun was. But that lack of knowledge became my worst enemy when coming here.

Last month I was chosen to work one on one with a girl who was in need of being taught advanced level grammar (bad choice on teacher, Mrs Jang). Anyway, I found myself learning English grammar along with her and realized how much I didn't know about the background and rules of, sadly, my native language.

I signed up for an online TEFL course that emphasized grammar. I regretted taking it at first - cause it's work, and work just isn't fun. But now I'm more than happy that I'm taking it; it'll make my last 6 months of teaching a whole lot easier.

And now when a student asks me a question about grammar, I'll be able to give a answer that's more reasonable than, "um.. English is just really tricky, ok?"