The year of the Teacher

Experiences teaching for a year in South Korea. Traveling the country and taking pictures everywhere.

Monday, September 27, 2004

Merry Chusok

I know it's been awhile since I wrote, but I'm just getting over a pretty bad cold I developed after going to Osaka. I lost my bigget asset to the school - my voice, so I've been trying to rest in order to regain it back.

Thursday was our monthly field trip with the morning kindergarden kids. We went to a park, just outside of Seoul. There's not a lot of wildlife in Ilsan or Seoul, so the kids were pretty excited to see animals such as fish, butterflies and bees.

Saturday, Matt, Craig and I went into Seoul to take a look at the Gyeongbokgung Palace, the markets, and the rest of downtown Seoul. There's actually an English book store nearby, which is good to know. We went out to dinner, then checked out the markets. It's just a huge maze of booths, selling cheap shoes, clothes, food, anything you can think of. We later went up the mountain and looked at the Seoul Tower, as well as check out the view of Seoul. It was just amazing to see the city from above. Amazing to imagine that 14 million people live in that city. Half of Canada living in one city....it's hard to grasp sometimes.

This week is
Chusok, Korean Thanksgiving. Many families go back to their hometown to wipe off their ancestors graves and the women prepare meals for a sort-of 3 day family reunion. Everything is closed during that time, so we all get Monday to Wednesday off. Matt, Craig, Gabe and I are planning on hiking one of the nearby mountains tomorrow. I'm looking forward to that, to take lots of pictures of the view.

I added two more links to pictures of the field trip and of Saturday, so enjoy!

P.S. Happy 20th Birthday, Glen!