The year of the Teacher

Experiences teaching for a year in South Korea. Traveling the country and taking pictures everywhere.

Sunday, April 03, 2005

Korean Kindness and Toilets


After the Fortress and kalbi, the 4 of us went to the Miller Bar down the street. We had drank a few rounds already when a Korean speaking excellent English came over with the biggest bottle of Miller I've seen and said that they were celebrating a wedding and the beer was for us in celebration. Days, sometimes weeks go by when you wonder if anyone is friendly in Korea, but days like these remind you of the generousity most Koreans do have.

In the meantime, Laura was telling me about the 'special' toilets in the ladies room at the bar. They had heated seats with buttons on the side. Laura said she has never pressed them, but supposedly they are air fresheners or for making sounds to cover up any "unwomanly" noises going on in the stall. So on my Miller buzz I decided it was a good idea to test out all the buttons on the seat. I quickly learned that one button was for squirting water as high as my standing height. It wouldn't shut off, so I pressed all the rest of the buttons, which set off the "cover up" noise that sounded like a lawn mower (why that sound? is that going to make people less suspicious?). Eventually everything stopped, but it taught me never to play with toilet buttons ever again.