The year of the Teacher

Experiences teaching for a year in South Korea. Traveling the country and taking pictures everywhere.

Friday, January 07, 2005

Thermometers, Fake Food, and Annie Hall

Here's a new one about Daniel: I (try and) teach science to the kindergartens in the morning. Before Christmas vacation, I was teaching about thermometers and showing my class what happens to them when it gets hotter or colder. The other 3 played with it for 2 minutes, then had enough, but not Daniel. He spent the whole 40 minutes trying to make it reach 40 degrees. I thought he forgot about the thermometer after coming back from vacation. But no. Now he runs up to me, grabs my hands, looks like he's thinking and yells "25 to 27 degrees". He's my personal thermometer now. And he now knows all the temperatures of the major cities (must memorize them off the tv). He's always telling me, "Shanghai: -1 to -14", "Seoul: -8 to -12". I don't need the weather channel anymore; I've got Daniel.

Been reading Clara's site, and it just so happens she was talking about
fake food in Japan. It's everywhere here in Korea. They use it in place of a menu. I knew the idea came from Japan, but I didn't know the history behind it. Very interesting read.

Friday night, and I'm incredibly tired. We were back from Thailand for only half a day before we started teaching again, so I'm in desperate need of not moving for an evening or two now that it's the weekend. Apartment's to myself tonight, so I'm thinking
Annie Hall. Watching neurotic Woody Allen makes my worrying seem so minute. Oh, an oldie but a goodie. I'm glad I brought it with me to Korea. La Di Da!