The year of the Teacher

Experiences teaching for a year in South Korea. Traveling the country and taking pictures everywhere.

Saturday, November 06, 2004

First Korean Haircut

For awhile, I was thinking about growing my hair long again. But 3 months into the growing process, I couldn't stand it. I was a little nervous about going to a local salon, since most Korean women don't have short hair. Also, I've heard of a lot of horror stories from foreigner women who have received cuts and highlights here. Since I was going into Seoul for the weekend, I visited Itaewon (the foreigner district) and went to a hair salon that I know deals with a lot of foreigner hair. I was expecting to pay a lot, since it was a salon in Seoul, but I was surprised to pay only 15000 won (about $15 bucks).

The $15 included:
  • a shampooing
  • a head massage
  • some high singing from my very...uhhh... feminine male hairdresser
  • blow dry and style
  • one short cut for one low price

Luckily, my first haircut experience in Korea turned out to be a good one.